Interesting Trivia Behind Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge
The film which brought the entire country to its knees for its impeccable storyline and gave characters like Raj, Simran, Lajjo and obviously the “most hated” Babuji who is the leader of Sanskars. The film is none other than Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge.
Despite the film being so old, the film still runs in Maratha Mandir since the day it released and most of the teenage girls have binge watched this film all their lives just to have a prince charming like Raj.
Here is an interesting trivia behind this ever-loved film:
1. The scene where Mr. Malhotra gets excited when he hears that Raj (Shah Rukh Khan) fails in his college is actually one of Aditya Chopra’s real-life experiences when Yash Chopra used to treat his sons like his friends most of the time. We always wished Mr. Malhotra as our Dad since we watched this film.
2. There is a saying that Behind Every Successful Man There Is Always A Woman. This was depicted while choosing the title as this was suggested by none other than Anupam Kher’s wife Kirron Kher who was inspired by the song Le Jayenge Le Jayenge from Chor Machaye Shor.
3. The film invented a new trend in Indian Cinema as it started adding a genre about most Indians living outside India. This gave birth to many films like Pardes, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Kal Ho Naa Ho, Salaam Namaste, Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna and My Name Is Khan which had a similar theme in them and they turned out to be quite successful in the box-office.
4. Most of the songs of the film are choreographed by Saroj Khan and she had left abruptly due to some disagreement with Aditya Chopra. Farah Khan was roped by Yash Chopra during last-minute for Ruk Ja O Dil Deewane.
5. I’m sure you guys have seen the shocked expression of Kajol in the end when she is abruptly dropped by Shah Rukh Khan when the song Ruk Ja O Dil Deewane ends. This was a pre-planned surprise which Adi refused to reveal it to the actress and that one shot had multiple retakes to get that perfect expression.
6. Karan Johar, who was playing Raj’s best friend in the film was assisting Aditya Chopra while shooting the film and he was taking care of every portion of the film which actually propelled his career. SRK motivated Karan off-camera to make his first film and cast him in the lead.
7. Anaita Shroff Adajania, the actress who played Simran’s best friend Sheena in the film is now a professional fashion designer and she had been playing an integral part in designing clothes for celebrities. She was even seen in Kal Ho Naa Ho as a cameo.
8. The dialogues became a pop culture amongst different walks of life. Three years ago when Barack Obama came to India for the Republic Day celebrations and PM Modi replied the Star Wars dialogue “May the force be with you” and Obama stated “Bade Bade Deshon Mein… well, you know what I mean”.
There are many films which come and go but DDLJ goes on forever. Kudos to Aditya Chopra for making such a masterpiece.
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
A Bollywood guide to Sequin Dresses.
19 March 2019