Vidya Balan: From A Middle Class Upbringing To The Most Influential Woman
Vidya Balan always aspired to be an actress right from her younger days. Her source of inspiration was Madhuri Dixit and Shabana Azmi when it came to becoming a film actress. The actress’s climb towards stardom began when she featured in the popular sitcom Hum Paanch back in the 90s.
Vidya Balan has changed the meaning of being an actress and has been part of many high profile ventures.
Here is a look at her journey from where she began:
1. Music Videos: During the 90s, the Indi-pop was a rage amongst the youngsters during the late 90s and the early 2000s. Vidya Balan was featured in some of these videos in the form of story in songs like Kabhi Aana Tu Meri Gali by Euphoria and Main Apne Gaon from Shubha Mudgal where we got to see her as a girl-next-door in them.
2. TV Shows: Vidya Balan’s first ever appearance was in the popular TV sitcom Hum Paanch where she was playing one of the sisters in the show. Her look as a nerd with glasses and hearing aid was the biggest talking point of the show. That show was the last show as she wanted to expand her horizons in films.
3. Film Career: Her film career began with a lot of obstacles as most films were shelved in Malayalam or in worst cases she was frequently replaced by other actresses. Pradeep Sarkar noticed her in most of the music videos he directed and he found his Lolitha for his debut venture Parineeta.
When Parineeta released, many critics misunderstood Vidya Balan to be a Bengali based on the mannerisms and the dressing style of hers. She got her first best actress nomination for her portrayal as RJ Jhanvi in Rajkumar Hirani’s Lage Raho Munnabhai and then the second nomination for her role as Avni in Bhool Bhulaiyaa.
The actress made a record by winning the best actress award for four consecutive years in films like Paa, Ishqiya, The Dirty Picture and Kahaani. After few setbacks, she bounced back again at the awards with Tumhaari Sulu.
For The Dirty Picture, the actress won the National Award from the President Of India for her portrayal and many critics compared her performance to Renee Zellweger in Chicago and Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge.
4. International Presence: The actress has been invited to various international events around the world and has graced the occasion. Vidya Balan became a grand marshal for the Independence Day parade which was conducted at New York City in the year 2013.
She was the first Indian celebrity to be the guest of honour at the rugby tournament in the year 2012. The actress was even given the jersey with her name on it. She was the first non-player to flag the tournament on that day.
Vidya Balan has been a frequent visitor at the Cannes Film Festival every year. The actress was appointed as the jury members in the year 2013.
5. Member Of The CBFC: This was taken by a surprise during the time when CBFC was facing a lot of negative feedback under Pahlaj Nihalani’s tenure. After driving him out, Prasoon Joshi was appointed the new head of the CBFC and under him, Vidya Balan was appointed as one of the board members.
Vidya Balan will be next seen in NTR Biopic playing the role of Basavatakaram, the first wife of NT Rama Rao. She will also be seen with her Heyy Babyy co-star Akshay Kumar in Mission Mangal. We wish her good luck for her future ventures.
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
Katrina Kaif goes floral for Bharat Promotions
31 May 2019