The Rollercoaster Ride Of Mission Impossible from 1996 to present
Hardcore action, exotic locations, death-defying stunts & state-of-the art gadgetry, you name it, they got it. The journey started in 1966 as a TV series, 30 years later it immortalised the magic on silver screen with Tom Cruise playing the role of Ethan Hunt, a superspy for IMF (Impossible Missions Force).
The series produced 5 films and all of them got positive reviews from critics. The sixth one will be releasing this summer.
Here is a short glimpse of the iconic franchise’s humble beginning right from when it started:
1. Mission: Impossible (1996): The year where it started with the young Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) takes the responsibility of finding the real mastermind of the agents killed in Prague even if it means breaking the protocol of the US government by sneaking into the CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia. The CIA sequence got me hooked and stunned with the music. The best part about the film is the aquarium scene when Tom Cruise makes a run while escaping from the restaurant and the water flooding his tracks.
2. Mission: Impossible II (2000): The sequel to the 1996 film of the same name was high on action and the stunts which got most of us scared in the cinemas was the iconic rock-climbing sequence in the beginning. The motorcycle chase between Hunt and Ambrose (Dougray Scott) in Sydney, Australia was one of the best chase sequences ever made.
3. Mission: Impossible III (2006): The movie begins with Ethan Hunt getting engaged to his long-time girlfriend Julia (Michelle Monaghan) and hiding his previous life for her safety. He gets called once again during his party for a rescue mission in Berlin to get one of their agents who’s captured while surveilling an Arms dealer which turns out to be a bigger conspiracy when his family is in danger. The bridge attack scene in the film was very well shot and even it brought scares to most of us when the missile strikes at the beginning of the scene.
4. Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011): The plot is a race against time when Ethan Hunt and his team are blacklisted as terrorists by the US government during the bombing in Moscow. The film stepped its shores in India after Octopussy, Indiana Jones and Bourne Supremacy. It also featured Anil Kapoor in it. The main highlight in this film was the Burj Khalifa climbing scene in Dubai which Tom Cruise did without a double.
5. Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015): A rogue terrorist organization called the Syndicate plays by using Ethan’s organisation’s playbook and orchestrates multiple attacks worldwide. With no one left to rely on, Ethan and his team befriend a mysterious woman Ilsa Faust (Rebecca Ferguson) who is an undercover British Intelligence Officer in the terrorist organization. The only scene stealer in this film is the airplane stunt in Austria, the motorbike chase in Morocco and the dive into a water plant.
6. Mission: Impossible - Fallout (2018): The most awaited film of the franchise which had experienced a delay in production with Tom Cruise fracturing his leg while shooting a stunt in London. This film is the first one to feature the same antagonist to feature in two films altogether. The newest addition in this series is Angela Bassett and Henry Cavill (of Man Of Steel fame). The best stunts are the bike chase in the busy traffic in Paris and the HALO jump which itself is death-defying.
Let's see how Mission:Impossible - Fallout is going to fare in the Indian Market.
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
A Bollywood guide to Sequin Dresses.
19 March 2019