The Female Directors Who Are Currently Ruling Bollywood
Bollywood has opened its doors for women who have shown their immense dedication in the world of films and they have shown that even they can give good stories like the highly acclaimed directors of Bollywood.
Here are some of the female directors who are currently ruling Bollywood:
1. Reema Kagti: She has been in the industry for a very long time, she started it by serving as an assistant director to Gowariker in Lagaan, Farhan in Dil Chahta Hai and Lakshya. She made her directorial debut with Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd and wrote the screenplay for Zoya’s films like Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara and Dil Dhadakne Do. Her second directorial Talaash was well appreciated for its interesting story. Now the director is earning appreciation for Gold.
2. Meghna Gulzar: The director who has a flair of giving class worthy films is no stranger to films, thanks to her legendary lyricist father who has been a helping hand in her ventures. She started out as the screenplay writer in the film titled Hu Tu Tu and went on giving films like Filhaal, Talvar and Raazi which have been winning appreciation worldwide. She’s currently working on a film based on the IC 814 hijack.
3. Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari: She started out in advertising in the initial days of her career and made her debut as a director with the film Nil Battey Sannata featuring Swara Bhaskar in the lead role, the film was simultaneously made in Tamil in the same year. She then won best director award for her film Bareilly Ki Barfi and now she’s roping in Kangana in her next venture Panga.
4. Zoya Akhtar: The director who comes from the film lineage has entertained the audience with her variety of films with different themes. Luck By Chance depicted the struggle of every aspiring actor in the world of films, ZNMD and Dil Dhadakne Do gave us travel goals. She knows how to connect with the masses and the classes with her films.
5. Gauri Shinde: She has been creating a lot of coming-of-age films in her career and she has definitely aced in them too. She started interning with a famous talk-show host Siddharth Kak and then made her big debut with English Vinglish casting Sridevi in the lead and made another film Dear Zindagi which starred Alia Bhatt and SRK in the lead. She has a unique way of giving feel-good moments to the audience.
6. Shonali Bose: She has been heavily active in the theatre industry since her college days. Her first film Amu, based on the 1984 Anti-Sikh riots was her first feature film which was screened in film festivals in places like Toronto and Berlin. She then made a contemporary film Margarita With A Straw, which was appreciated by Bollywood veterans like Aamir Khan, Karan Johar and many others for whom the film was screened. She’s currently working on The Sky Is Pink which is the comeback film of Priyanka Chopra in Bollywood.
7. Nandita Das: After her brief stint in the field of acting, she had put on the director’s cap in the year 2008 with her first film Firaaq which was based on the 2002 Gujarat Riots and the after effects. She had won accolades for her debut direction. Her latest film Manto earned a standing ovation at the Cannes festival later this year.
8. Alankrita Shrivastava: Again another director from the National Capital Delhi who started out with an offbeat film and then made headlines with the erotic film Lipstick Under My Burkha which was banned in India by the CBFC because of its obscenity and vulgarity. She never shies from showing the boldness in cinemas.
9. Konkona Sen Sharma: Like mother like daughter, she managed to get her big score with her first film, the critically acclaimed A Death In The Gunj which is winning big at various award functions. Before taking the director’s cap, she was featured in mostly Hindi and Bengali films where she showed her powerful acting in every film. We need more from the acclaimed director herself.
Well, what do we say? Girl power rules!
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
The best of alia bhatt in kalank promotions
17 April 2019
How Hierarchy Is Projected In Mammootty's 'Madhura Raja'
16 April 2019
Kalank Movie: 5 Reasons that makes this movie a hit.
16 April 2019