The Complete Rewind Of 2018 In The World Of Films
This year is almost coming to an end, there were many eventful moments happening this year and there was a change in the industry in terms of content and functioning. There were some whom we lost along the way but there were moments which brought a smile to our faces.
Here is a complete rewind of 2018:
1. Padmaavat Finally Releases: After a long long time, Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s magnum opus Padmaavat finally hit the theatres on the republic day weekend. A lot of right-wing groups and anti-social elements hampered the coveted release which was supposed to take place in December 2017.
After much difficulty in controlling the situation, the film managed to release on 25th January 2018 and was a huge box office success with Rs 585 Crores worldwide.
Ranveer Singh became the talking point of the film and was applauded for his performance as the ruthless and power-hungry Alauddin Khilji.
Despite the appreciation, the film received criticism for its regressive themes and stereotyping the characters.
Three days after the film’s release, Swara Bhaskar wrote an open letter to Bhansali criticizing the film for glorifying Jauhar and bringing a negative message to the society.
2. Sridevi’s Death: This was one of the shocking news we found out. Many media persons assumed it to be a hoax but unfortunately, the news was confirmed by her brother-in-law Sanjay Kapoor.
The veteran actress was in UAE for a relative’s wedding and do shopping for Jhanvi’s 21st Birthday. Next day, Boney decided to make a surprise visit to Sridevi and both decided to spend time together in their suite. When Sridevi entered the bathroom to get fresh, she suddenly had a cardiac arrest and fell into the bathtub which resulted in an accidental drowning.
This news shattered the entire country and most of the film fraternity expressed their condolences to the late diva and her family.
3. Multiple Weddings: This year was filled with a lot of weddings taking place and surprisingly they were trending on every media platform.
The first wedding was of Sonam Kapoor who got married to her longtime companion Anand Ahuja who is an entrepreneur. The wedding was a typical big fat Punjabi wedding where many starlets graced the occasion. This was surely a sight to behold.
Angad Bedi and Neha Dhupia took everyone by storm by getting married on the same day. The couple kept a low key ceremony and received wishes from the film fraternity on social media. Months after the wedding, they were blessed with a baby girl.
Also Read: After Sonam, Angad Bedi Ties The Knot
Ranveer Singh and Deepika Padukone were together for many years and decided to go step further by getting married. The couple got married in an enclosed environment at Lake Como, Italy and there were Konkani and Sindhi ceremonies performed at the venue.
After the destination wedding, the couple hosted three receptions where one took place in Bangalore and the other two in Mumbai which got all the B-Town rejoicing at the venue.
Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas brought the best of both worlds by uniting Indian and western cultures together in their festivities. The couple had a roka ceremony in Mumbai and then a big fat wedding with Christian and Hindu traditions at Jodhpur, Rajasthan. Both the cultures embraced each other in this confluence.
4. Content Going Digital: Who says that the films should be released in theatres and shows to be watched on TV? This practice became outdated and India welcomed Netflix, Amazon Prime and other online streaming platforms with open arms with their content.
Most of the content revived the careers of some actors and some became quite famous with their presence. Most of the online content like Love Per Square Feet, Lust Stories, Sacred Games, Ghoul, Mirzapur and Rangbaaz were catering the average Indian Viewer.
5. Bollywood Became Angry On Kathua And Unnao Rape: Six years after the horrifying Nirbhaya incident which had got the entire nation unleashing their fury for the lapses in the legal system of India was revisited once again.
The nation was shamed once again with two gangrapes of minors which took place in Kathua and Unnao where a lot of high profile individuals were involved in the crime.
In response to the incident, many Bollywood stars like Huma Qureshi, Swara Bhaskar, Konkana Sen and many others condemned the incident. They also expressed their solidarity with the I am Ashamed, I am Hindustani and #JusticeForAsifa tag on social media.
6. Quantico Controversy: Priyanka Chopra’s show Quantico invited hate from most of the political parties in India when the episode depicted Indians as terrorists and Priyanka’s character taking them down.
Most politicians started instigating hate towards the actress and in worst cases, they even branded her an anti-national. But there were a few from Bollywood who stood by the actress and even explained the argument on both sides rather than one-sided.
7. #MeToo Movement: After exposing big names like Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey in Hollywood, #MeToo movement came to India. This began when Tanushree Dutta accused Nana Patekar of sexually harassing her while shooting an item song for a film 10 years ago.
Because of Tanushree Dutta, many women spoke out their horrific stories which became like a storm and many high profile men were unmasked.
Veteran actress Soni Razdan once stated that she was almost raped while shooting a film, this was revealed in one of her interviews regarding the Vinta Nanda’s statement.
Most of these men included names like Sajid Khan, Rajat Kapoor, Chetan Bhagat, Alok Nath, Anu Malik, Vikas Bahl, Gursimran Khamba and Utsav Chakravorthy ending up being shame-faced by the media.
In response to the allegations, a separate committee was organized by the board to take action against such atrocities happening against women.
8. Taimur Ali Khan: The whole nation went gaga over Saifeena’s son Taimur who was followed by the paparazzi frequently.
The Pataudi toddler had a great presence in front of the media when his pictures were clicked. The netizens started googling his pictures and it amounted to have a toy in his honour.
9. Sonali Bendre Diagnosed With Cancer: This news took most of the film fraternity by storm. The former-90s actress cum TV host shared this news of her cancer on her twitter handle and was supported by many during that time.
She then came back to India after undergoing the treatment in New York.
10. Content Won Over Stardom: This year most of the films were heavily relying on good story and amazing performances. These films not only won the hearts of intellectuals, even the masses were hypnotized by their magic.
These films got actors like Kartik Aaryan, Nushrat Bharucha, Vicky Kaushal, Kiara Advani, Radhika Apte, Rajkummar Rao and Ayushmann Khurrana noticed by the audience. These young and talented actors were filled with new ideas in their mind which made the audience want for more.
Unfortunately, the Khans were almost crushed by the content and there was nothing much they could do to keep their base strong.
11. Anushka Sharma: The actress who had tied the knot with cricketer Virat Kohli last year became a talking point in almost every walk of life.
The actress became quite popular when she started schooling a guy who threw garbage outside his car and she lost cool in front of him .
Saw these people throwing garbage on the road & pulled them up rightfully. Travelling in a luxury car and brains gone for a toss. These people will keep our country clean? Yeah right! If you see something wrong happening like this, do the same & spread awareness. @AnushkaSharma pic.twitter.com/p8flrmcnba— Virat Kohli (@imVkohli) June 16, 2018
Apart from that, her quite famous expression in the Varun Dhawan-starrer Sui Dhaaga gave birth to memes and jokes which was invading everywhere on social media.
12. Veteran Filmmaker Mrinal Sen Passes Away: Mrinal Sen happens to one of those filmmakers who has been doing arthouse films in Bengali and Hindi all his life. Just recently the news came in which states that the veteran filmmaker had breathed his last and the whole film fraternity mourned his loss.
Let's hope that 2019 becomes more memorable and happening in terms of films and functioning of the industry.
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
A Bollywood guide to Sequin Dresses.
19 March 2019