Sridevi's Most Unforgettable Roles
24th February 2018, the day which had shaken the entire country with the sudden demise of a veteran actress, Sridevi. The news left us completely shattered as most of us grew up watching her films and even dancing to her songs in weddings and school functions.
Even though she is not with us right here but her smile and her innocence will remain forever in our hearts.
The actress was considered as one of the first lady superstars who gave many performance oriented roles in her career and most of the male actors were reduced to a mere showpiece in front of her.
Here are some of her unforgettable roles which most of us cherish even now:
1. Nehalata Malhotra in Sadma: The most challenging role of her career where she played a role of a young woman who meets with an accident and ends up having a mind of a six-year-old girl because of amnesia caused due to the accident. Not many actresses would have taken up this role but she nailed it like anything.
2. Seema in Mr. India: Who can forget that song between Anil Kapoor and Sridevi which soared the temperatures amongst the fans. The role was of a crime reporter which was blended with a lot of comic elements in it with her cranky attitude and choice of dresses. My favorite part of hers was the Charlie Chaplin sequence which got me ROFL.
3. Chandni Mathur in Chandni: Chandni O Meri Chandni, the song which most of us guys have dedicated to our crushes back in our college days. The role seems to be still evergreen even now with Sridevi’s aesthetic beauty and natural smile, which made every man go crazy about her.
4. Pallavi and Pooja in Lamhe: This was something which nobody had ever thought would be like this. Sridevi played the role of Pallavi who is the heiress of her father’s business empire and marries a handsome man, much to the chagrin of a young man who is in love with her despite the age difference. Unfortunately, Pallavi dies in a car accident with her husband, leaving a one-year-old daughter orphaned who later turns out to be the lookalike of her mother. Despite the film flopped, she earned the best actress award for it.
5. Anju and Manju in Chaalbaaz: The adaptation of Hema Malini’s iconic Seeta Aur Geeta which had two twins separated at birth in different backgrounds. Anju is the shy and easily frightened one who gets tortured by her uncle and aunt for the sake of her property and Manju is savage and bold who will beat up anyone black and blue if any anti-social element is harassing her or her neighbors. This was surely a treat to watch.
6. Kajal in Judaai: The role of a rich woman who is married to an ordinary engineer and has a greed for having a luxurious lifestyle which causes a rift between her and her husband. This was one of the last roles of her career as she had decided to take a maternity break for 15 years.
7. Shashi Godbole in English Vinglish: The biggest comeback by the actress which made all generations to flock together at the multiplexes only to see her glimpse. The role was of a docile housewife who has a weakness of speaking English which is mocked by her family members and gets back at them by mastering the language. The film was later released in Japanese and she became the next superstar famous after Rajinikanth famous in Japan.
8. Devki Sabarwal in MOM: The film which was appreciated for its interesting storyline which got the fans excited about it. She played the role of a mother who is filled with revenge after getting the news that her daughter gets gang-raped at a party. The role earned her a lot of nominations and she was awarded posthumously at the national award and IIFA.
Its really sad that she left us too early but before leaving, she left us these memories which most of us remember for many generations to come. We need a resurrection of the actress by any means possible.
RIP Sridevi, we will never forget you!
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
A Bollywood guide to Sequin Dresses.
19 March 2019