Realistic Portrayal Of Characters By Akshay Kumar
He was a young chap from Chandni Chowk, Delhi and on his father’s advice, he left for Bangkok and took training in Kung Fu. He even worked as a waiter and a chef in a restaurant over there. He tried his hand in modelling and it went well but it was an opportunity missed as he had missed the flight to Bangalore where the shoot was to take place.
Despite all the hardships during his career, he is now a self-made star in Bollywood and a very devoted family man as well.
Akshay Kumar has conquered many hearts in India with his films ranging from the Khiladi series to Hera Pheri. The actor has done a great job by picking up offbeat subjects for his film and has succeeded in them too.
Here are some of his characters based on Real-life incidents he played so far:
1. Raj Malhotra in Aitraaz: This was the time when he went out of his comfort zone and decided to underplay his character. He played a role of a managing director of a telecom company who gets accused of raping his boss and he counterattacks by saying that she harassed him sexually. This was something which no one expected to see. His role was inspired from famous NBA player Kobe Bryant who was accused by a fan for raping her.
2. Krishna Vasudev Yadav in OMG - Oh My God: Despite Paresh Rawal played the lead in the film, the main highlight of the film was Akshay Kumar who played the role of modern-day Krishna and he was the only one who made us laugh with his presence in the film.
3. David Fernandes in Brothers: The Bollywood Adaptation of Tom Hardy’s Oscar-winning film Warrior had Khiladi playing the role of a physics teacher who sacrifices his career to become a street fighter to save his terminally-ill daughter. The actor did a good job of portraying the emotions while doing the intense scenes.
4. Ranjit Katyal in Airlift: The character based on Mathunny Mathews who took charge of evacuating 170,000 Indians from the war-hit Kuwait during the Iraqi invasion. Kumar portrayed the role of a businessman who gives up his Kuwaiti status to help his fellow countrymen. The film won him a national award for his acting.
5. Rustom Pavri in Rustom: Based on the infamous Nanavati case which had shaken the entire judicial system with its unexpected verdict. Akshay played the role of a Parsi Navy officer who is married to an English woman and kills her lover when he finds out about her affair with his best friend. This was one of his best works to date.
6. Jagadishwar Mishra aka Jolly in Jolly LLB 2: The actor took the role of a happy-go-lucky lawyer who takes up a case of a fake encounter case where an innocent is killed. When the first film dealt with a hit-and-run case, this one dealt with a fake encounter case. The best part of the film is his Go Pagal dance, which was worth a watch.
7. Keshav Sharma in Toilet - Ek Prem Katha: A satirical tribute towards Modi’s prime mission towards Clean India was this film. His character was inspired from a real-life incident which happened when a woman left her husband’s home when she realized that there are no sanitation facilities in his home. The film was loved by the founder of Microsoft Bill Gates and he had added the film in his watchlist. The film was later screened to PM Narendra Modi who also loved the film.
8. Lakshmikant Pyarelal in Pad Man: The character inspired from Arunachalam Muruganantham, a social activist from Tamil Nadu who created the first ever low-cost sanitary pad and did everything possible for the menstrual hygiene. The film later became a movement as Twinkle Khanna started organizing a fundraiser for promoting menstrual hygiene.
9. Tapan Das in Gold: This was something out of the comfort zone as he played the role of an eccentric, alcoholic and a debt-ridden hockey manager who has a desire to make his team in the Olympics under the pretext of Independent India instead of British India. Akki proved that patriotism is in his blood with this film.
We need to see more from the ever talented actor in his upcoming venture Kesari!
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
The best of red carpet looks by Deepika Padukone
16 May 2019