Lata Mangeshkar: The Godmother Of Indian Playback Singing
She has been in the industry for a very young age and her songs are listened by not just senior citizens but even college kids to hard-working young professionals. Despite the songs are old, they are still timeless classics which will put the rehashed versions of these songs to shame.
She received international fame when she performed at the Royal Albert Hall in London in the year 1974. In today's generation, there are many playback singers in Bollywood like Alka Yagnik, Sunidhi Chauhan, Shreya Ghoshal, Neha Kakkar, Monali Thakur who have stated that Lata Mangeshkar has been their idol since childhood.
Here are some of her timeless songs which most of us listen to it on repeat:
1. Piya Tose From Guide: The only song which every aspiring singer has been singing for a very long time in the form of covers and still this classic remains sweet as Honey which is never stale for years together. The song captures the festivities during every frame of the song.
2. Lag Ja Gale From Woh Kaun Thi: Another song from the legend which is remembered by singers like Shreya Ghoshal and Monali Thakur who used to sing this song during their struggling days. The song brings the best out of everything if you are listening to it even now.
3. Chalte Chalte From Pakeezah: The last film of the tragedy queen Meena Kumari had this song on repeat when most of our parents used to listen to it on the radio during the time when YouTube streaming was quite fast forward. A must listen to every music lover. Despite the rehash of the song this year, the original is still a diamond.
4. Mere Haathon Mein From Chandini: This song brought life in almost every wedding in India, thanks to Yash Chopra who made it possible with this song and thanks to Sridevi as well who became every young man's dream during that time when this song was trending.
5. Choodiyan Khanak Gayi From Lamhe: Another song from the singer which has been famous for its setting in a desert in Rajasthan and of course Sridevi who immortalized it. The singer collaborated with a famous folk singer Illa Arun and the song was popular because of the dance covers.
5. Mere Khwabon Mein Jo Aaye From Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge: Wow, every girl can relate to Simran aka Kajol with this song when they are harboring to meet their prince charming and the song became quite famous for Kajol's iconic towel dance which most of us know why.
6. Dil Toh Pagal Hai From Dil Toh Pagal Hai: This song is loved by almost everyone and it is still evergreen for the chemistry between Madhuri Dixit and Akshay Kumar. The song was the first song to be shot in the tourist attractions in Germany.
7. Jiya Jale From Dil Se: The first time collaboration with world-renowned composer AR Rahman who added a Kerala flavour to the song which got most of the music lovers listening to it in the cassette era.
8. O Palanhare From Lagaan: Most of us always sing this song on important occasions especially when most students are preparing for important exams or graduates prepping up for their job interviews. The song captures the right emotions in the film when the villagers pray for miracles on the day of the cricket match.
9. Tere Liye From Veer Zaara: The song which was composed by Late Madan Mohan had Lata Mangeshkar collaborating with Roop Kumar Rathod in this blockbuster film which conveys the right emotions when Veer and Zaara come face-to-face after 22 years of their separation. Most of us cried during this sequence when we saw humanity between the two despite a man-made border drawn between them.
10. Lukka Chuppi From Rang De Basanti: Another iconic song which brought tears to my eyes, the music video showed the pain of a mother who loses her son in a dreadful accident and even from the son's perspective we can observe that despite he is in paradise but he wants his mother to join him too.
No doubt that she is the queen of playback singing but we also hope that there must be many singers like her who tend to follow the same footsteps.
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
Current Obsession: Moschino Paint Prints
18 February 2019
The Best Celebrity Looks At The Grammy's Red Carpet
12 February 2019