Bollywood Films Which Dealt With A Bold Theme Of Homosexuality
On 6th September 2018, the supreme court passed a law of abolishing the Section 377. This was a joyous moment for the LGBT community who were celebrating it at the streets of Delhi.
Here are some of the films which dealt with the subject of Homosexuality:
1. Fire: This international film faced a lot of flak and hate from multiple political parties in India when this film released. The film was about two women who were dissatisfied with their married lives and end up having a sexual relationship with each other. This was well received internationally.
2. Margarita With A Straw: Kalki Koechlin’s film which revolved around a disabled girl having feelings for another woman who studies with her in a university in New York. The film received appreciation at various film festivals around the world.
3. Bombay Talkies: One of the segments of this anthology film directed by Karan Johar which dealt about a young intern who reveals to his employer that he is gay and he has a fascination for men. It explores the theme of being locked up in a box.
4. Kapoor & Sons: There was one scene in the film when Sunita (Ratna Pathak Shah) finds out that Rahul (Fawad Khan) is homosexual and confronts him after finding out the truth about his relation with another man. This scene raised a lot of questions from most of the peers.
5. Dostana: The Bollywood adaptation of I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry which depicted a comical side of the situation. The plot revolved around two womanizing men based in Miami, who are kicked out of their respective flats and pretend to be gay in order to get a flat and also deal with the issue with residency. The first time meeting sequence got me laughing a lot.
6. Fashion: Despite the backdrop of the film was set in the ruthless world of fashion, fame and luxury. The film also gave a peek into the lives of the fashion designers who are frequently stereotyped of being homosexuals and there was one scene when Rahul (Samir Soni) meets his best friend Janet (Mugdha Ghodse) and strike up a conversation. There is a sequence when he proposes her for marriage which breaks the stereotypes of being a fashion designer. This scene created a huge impact on most of us.
7. Kal Ho Naa Ho: This was the main homosexual highlight of the film which made us go completely ROFL. The scene when Aman and Rohit end up sleeping together in a compromising situation after a drunk night and Rohit’s nanny Kantaben looks at them shocked thinking that both of them are homosexuals. And the background music we hear brings the perfect comic timing as she faints is just applause-worthy.
Well, Bollywood has done well in showing homosexuality in films, let’s see how will this be seen when Section 377 is abolished.
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
Top 10 Malayalam Movies of 2018
04 January 2019
The Miracles And Mishaps Of 2018 In Kollywood
02 January 2019
The Miracles And Mishaps Of 2018 In Bollywood
02 January 2019