Akshay Kumar: From A Young Boy Of Old Delhi To A Superstar Of Bollywood
The only actor who has survived in the Bollywood Industry without any help of any godfather in the industry and still going strong with many box-office hits in the past decade. The actor is also the highest paid actor and a taxpayer.
Here is a look of his journey from a young Punjabi boy to a superstar of Bollywood:
1. A young boy from Delhi: Akshay was born as Rajiv Hari Om Bhatia in Amritsar, Punjab, his father was a Military Officer and he also has a sister named Alka Bhatia. He expressed his desire to become a hero during his teenage years. His family relocated to Mumbai and he did most of his schooling in Mumbai.
2. Martial Arts, Cooking and Modelling: On his father’s request he took up training in Taekwondo in India and then headed to Bangkok to learn Muay Thai. While living in Bangkok, he worked as a chef-cum-waiter at a Thai Restaurant over there to pay for his fees. He then used the teachings back here in India and opened a martial arts school. One of the student's parent noticed him and decided to give him a chance in modelling, which went well.
3. The Action Hero of 90s: After missing a flight to Bangalore for a modelling campaign, Akshay aimlessly entered a movie studio with his portfolio and he handed it over to a director who later decided to feature him in his film and then he changed his name from Rajiv to Akshay and made action films in the 90s and was given the nickname Khiladi.
4. Comedy Star: After a brief sabbatical during this period, Khiladi’s films were failing miserably at the box office and then Priyadarshan offered him Hera Pheri which was one of the biggest hits of that year and managed to get him back in the film industry with comedy genre films.
5. Family Man: Many started speculating rumours about his love life and finally one day he managed to meet Twinkle Khanna who was featured in some of his films and then they decided to get married in the year 2001. The couple is blessed with a son Aarav and daughter Nithara. Akki has been a helping hand to her writing career as well.
6. Fitness Freak: Apart from a martial arts expert, the actor is even a fitness freak who doesn’t take any shortcuts for staying fit and he follows a routine pattern for sleeping too. He has motivated his son in playing outdoor games as he had developed an addiction to video games. He is a hardcore foodie too and takes very good care of his health at the same time
7. Patriotic Hero: He came to this genre with the insistence of his wife who made him do more patriotic and satirical flicks most of the time. Looks like his wife has managed to get him on a tight leash with the choices of his films.
8. Multiple Charities: The actor has been actively involved in multiple philanthropy ventures, he had even uploaded a video in 2017 where he was upset about the molesting incident which took place in Bangalore during the New Year’s Eve party. His film Pad Man managed to generate a lot of awareness among the masses and also helped in reducing the price of sanitary pads. He had been a helping hand for most of the farmers in Maharashtra when suicides were high during that time. He has been actively involved in helping the Indian Army as well.
9. The Iconic cameo In Om Shanti Om: This was something to watch out for, he made a friendly appearance as himself in Shah Rukh Khan’s blockbuster film Om Shanti Om where he played one of the best actor nominees who creates a ruckus when he is not awarded. The cameo was voted no 3 at a top ten poll conducted by Mensxp.com .
Check out his journey in our short video right below:
Wow, what a man, I’m just proud to be a fan of an actor who is such a decent human being and a good soul.
Meet the author
Studied Computers But Found Calling In Writing Loves Friends and Game Of Thrones, Huge Fan of Akshay Kumar
SEND 'JOIN' TO +917892385712 TO CONNECT WITH US ON WHATSAPP
A Bollywood guide to Sequin Dresses.
19 March 2019